Tokyo Walks 2011 - Kawagoe

On Sept. 10, 2011, I took an afternoon trip to the town of Kawagoe. The town (its more like a suburb of Tokyo now) is about 30 minutes away by train from Ikebukuro station in Tokyo. Its supposed to be famous for its preservation of Edo era (1603 - 1868) buildings.

In my opinion, it wasn't so interesting as all the Edo era buildings were located in a single "preservation zone" that is designed like a tourist trap and everything outside of that zone just looks like your typical Tokyo urban sprawl.

Arrival at Kawagoe station Typical layout of a Tokyo suburban community with the train station and the centre and shopping centres surrounding the station.

Kawagoe



Kawagoe

As I arrived at 1 pm, I tried to find someplace to eat. Using my iPhone and the Japanese "Tabelog" app, I found this somewhat run-down curry restaurant which had a high rating.

Kawagoe

I ordered the "European Style" chicken curry which cost 1100 yen.


"European Style" Chicken Curry


Next I went to explore the attractions that made this town "famous".

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

Kawagoe

The non-descript city hall building.

Kawagoe

The remaining building of Kawagoe castle. (Not very impressive)

Kawagoe

0 comments: