Tokyo Walks 2011 - Tokyo Station to Odaiba

On Sept. 19, 2011, I walked from Tokyo station to Odaiba because:
  1. I enjoy "urban hiking"
  2. I wanted to see how far Odaiba really was by foot, to put the distance on a human scale
  3. I wanted to see if there was anything in between all those man-made islands

My route. If it wasn't for my iPhone, data and Google Maps, I would have gotten lost. I am convinced that Tokyo is one of those places where a smartphone is really necessary for finding directions and not getting lost. Google Maps calculated the time for walking at 1.5 hours, but it actually took me 2 hours and I walk pretty fast...


View Tokyo to Odaiba in a larger map



I actually started from Tokyo station and went along Ginza but I forgot to take pictures so I only started taking pictures from the closed-on-weekends Tsukiji fish market. The area around Tsukiji fish market is just a couple of blocks away from the high-end area of Ginza and the streetscape changes completely!

Tsukiji Market

Tsukiji Market

Tsukiji Market

Tsukiji Market

Tsukiji Market

Docks for the Tsukiji fish market.

Odaiba

New development on the man-made islands between Tokyo and Odaiba.

Odaiba

The ferris wheel of Odaiba from a distance.

Odaiba

Rainbow Bridge. Thank goodness it didn't rain on that day.

Odaiba

Tokyo Sky Tree seen from Odaiba.

Tokyo Sky Tree from Odaiba

Another shot of Rainbow Bridge.

Rainbow Bridge

Buildings of Odaiba.

Odaiba

I discovered that in all the man-made islands, there is literally nothing and probably nothing has been developed for over 20 years? What a waste of prime real estate!

Odaiba

Odaiba

Odaiba

A closer shot of Rainbow Bridge.

Rainbow Bridge

Odaiba

Odaiba

A closer shot of the ferris wheel.

Odaiba

Since I was in Odaiba, I decided to check out the Toyota Megaweb car showcase. Because I had been there many times in the past, I didn't expect to find anything new but I was surprised to see that there were new things for people to try.

Some upright electric vehicle. Too bad by the time I got there, the demo was closed.

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

New car models on display.

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

The Safety Simulator. Apparently when you approach an incoming vehicle this simulator was supposed to apply the brakes for you in order to minimize the damage. Trying a real steering wheel and pedals for a driving simulation for the first time was incredible. How can people play games like Gran Turismo 5 with a controller?!

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

The Gran Turismo 5 simulator. The line for this was too long so I decided to pass on it.

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

The Toyota Century, the car for Japanese government VIPs, executives and organized crime. It looks like a relic of the 1990s and yet costs an arm and a leg.

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

What surprised me was that EVERY door had a ashtray and cigarette lighter, this is obviously designed for the Japanese market.

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Back to the 1990s.

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Price tag: 12,080,000 yen = $157,000 USD

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

Other cars:

Toyota Megaweb at Odaiba

0 comments: