London: Tower of London, Tower Bridge

The following are pictures I had taken when I went to London during the Remembrance Day holiday weekend while I was still a Canadian salaryman. Taking a holiday during the Remembrance Day holiday = taking 4 vacation days while getting 10 holiday days back in return.

I started posting pictures from my 2009 London trip before I got interrupted by going to the internship in Tokyo so this post continues from the previous two that I did.

London: Remembrance Day Parade

Visiting Windsor Castle

The pictures are all from Nov. 10, 2009 when I went to visit the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. Unfortunately as with all paid attractions in the United Kingdom you are not allowed to take any pictures inside the buildings. As with everything in the U.K., everything is bloody expensive, the admission tickets per person were about £20 ~ $32 CDN.

The Tower of London, from the outside, you can see that the moat was filled in long ago and replaced with grass.





The main entrance with my mom in the background.

Tower of London

The good thing is that there are free guided tours offered regularly during the day.

Tower of London

Inside the Tower of London grounds.

Tower of London

There must be some kind of significance for this photo but I completely forgot why I took this photo. Maybe its a lesson for me to post photos as I take them instead of doing nothing and then suddenly deciding to post them 2 years after I took them...

Tower of London

The centre building in the Tower of London complex.

Tower of London

Nice view of Tower Bridge from the Tower of London.

Tower of London

Guards.

Tower of London

The main attraction for going to the Tower of London, seeing the Crown Jewels of the British Royal Family. Actually you aren't allowed to take any pictures inside, but no one said that I couldn't take a picture from the outside! Inside they installed an airport-style horizontal escalator so tourists can easily "glide" past all the crowns on display. All the crowns are the real thing as evidenced by the huge security door.

Tower of London

A better photo?

Tower of London

More pictures of the outer grounds.

Tower of London

The approach to Tower Bridge.

Tower of London

I was surprised to find that real people actually live in apartments inside the Tower of London.

Tower of London

Looking towards "The City", the financial district of London.

Tower Bridge

Another shot of Tower Bridge.

IMTower Bridge


A rare photo of me in front of the Tower Bridge. It was pretty cold that day.

Tower Bridge

The Tower Bridge and River Thames.

Tower Bridge

Walking across the Tower Bridge. There is actually an attraction in the bridge called the "Tower Bridge Experience" but after reading reviews beforehand I decided not to go as everyone said that it was a rip off.

Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Walking towards the financial district.

The City

Passed by some really nice covered arcades. Much much nicer than those horrible concrete and steel monstrosities that you see in every single Japanese city...

Arcade

Arcade

The financial district, I was surprised to see it so empty during the weekday. Maybe its because most of the big firms had moved to newer Canary Wharf/Docklands area?

The City

The Bank of England building, inside there was the Bank of England museum where the admission was free. We spent the rest of the day looking at various exhibits inside. It was mildly interesting and provided ample places for seating to rest our legs after a whole day of walking!

Bank of England

0 comments: