Kansai Airport Tour

There are approximately three things that first got me interested in Japan: Sony/consumer electronics [now completely irrelevant], Shinkansen (bullet train) and Kansai Airport.

I first learned about Kansai Airport in 1994 at the age of 11 when my dad told me about reading some magazine article on some "crazy" airport that was being built in Japan on an entirely man-made island. This got me really interested and I asked him to bring me the article so I could read it and the next day I received the article, ripped out of from the employee lounge's copy of Time magazine ^^

It would be until 2004 until I had the chance to visit the Renzo Piano-designed Kansai Airport for the first time. However this was a family trip using the Japan Rail Pass and we didn't have much time so I managed to convince the others to visit the airport at night since we didn't have to pay any extra fees as we had the rail pass.

Although I finally got the chance to visit the airport that I first got to know about in 1994, because we visited at night, I could not explore as much as I wanted, mainly I wanted to see the man-made island and the double-decker railway/road bridge.

Now upon gaining some (crappy) Japanese language ability as a result of my undergraduate student exchange and my current post-graduate studies, I found out that they offered tours of the airport so I scheduled a tour on my mini-trip to Kansai in Sept. 2010.

The Renzo Piano-designed international terminal building from the visitor's centre.

IMG_0761



From Google Maps, you can gain a sense of the engineering marvel that is Kansai Airport. As far as I know, there are only 3 airports in the world that are built on man-made islands, Hong Kong International Airport, Chubu International Airport in Nagoya and Kansai International Airport in Osaka. Out of these 3, only the man-made islands for the Japanese airports were reclaimed from the sea from scratch.


View 2010-09-23 Kansai Airport Tour in a larger map

Boarding the train from Nankai Namba station in Osaka. I thought I could cheap out by taking a local train to the airport but then I realized that I would not make it in time for the scheduled tour so mid-way I had to change trains and take the pricey limited express train.

IMG_0745

IMG_0746

I had to change to this bizarre looking limited express train, the Nankai Rap:t. (Not my picture)

nankai_rapit

The interior of the train not quite as impressive as the exterior.

IMG_0747

Arrival at the visitor's centre.

IMG_0750

The original shape of the island.

IMG_0751

In the visitor's centre, there was a shop full of (over-priced) aviation merchandise.

IMG_0754

IMG_0755

IMG_0756

IMG_0757

IMG_0758

IMG_0759

IMG_0760

Ever wondered where you can buy that "Sky Time" drink that they serve exclusively on JAL? Well you can buy it here! (Or any other "exclusive" food that they serve onboard)

IMG_0763

IMG_0764

IMG_0765

IMG_0766

IMG_0767

IMG_0769

View of the island from the visitor's centre building.

IMG_0770

Flight information screens in case you want to view some take offs.

IMG_0772

IMG_0773

The outdoor deck of the visitor's centre.

IMG_0775

IMG_0777

Another view of the terminal building.

IMG_0778

A view of the double-decker rail/road bridge that connects the island to the mainland.

IMG_0779

For your viewing pleasure.

IMG_0784

Model of the original development.

IMG_0788

For the actual "tour" portion, we got on a bus and drove around the island. Because of poor weather conditions, a portion of the originally scheduled tour was cancelled.

Here we drive by the airline catering operations.

IMG_0790

The cargo terminals.

IMG_0792

The most interesting thing is that the only thing preventing the sea from flooding the island are these concrete barriers or dikes.

IMG_0795

The concrete wall is maybe only 3 meters high and the waves of the Inland Sea were quite rough so when the tour bus drove along this road, it would frequently get splashed with sea water.

IMG_0796

Inside the actual terminal building.

IMG_0797

IMG_0798

IMG_0800

The interesting thing is that I have never flown out of Kansai airport before. Every time I come to Japan, its always through the airport-too-far-from-everything known as Narita airport.

0 comments: