Going to Tokyo Motor Show 2005

Today we went to Tokyo Motor Show in the afternoon. We went to buy tickets for the event at the train station thinking that we could avoid lines, but it ended up being that we spent more time looking for the counter to sell the ticket at the station than at the event, which set up booths at the train station at the convention centre. The ticket cost 1200 yen but the train fare to go there was expensive, 620 yen one way.

Photobucket


The convention centre was big, there were 4 large halls. We skipped the motorcycle and parts section because it was of no interest to us. All the big Japanese automakers had big booths, all of them had 2 level exhibit. I think the Nissan booth was the most impressive, they showed up this concept car that could rotate 360 degrees so that its easier to park, plus they had a concept of the Skyline GT-R that will be in production in 2 years. Their pamphlet was also really impressive, really thick, good paper. I think Toyota and Honda were so-so. There was Civic Hybrid from Honda which looked like every other Civic but with Hybrid engine, and lots of family concept cars like “Mom’s Personal Wagon” and “W.O.W. Concept” where you can store pets in the glove compartment…exciting……..

At Toyota they had a Hybrid minivan there including new RAV4 and other concept cars. Also Toyota and Honda both had driving simulators running Gran Turismo 4 I think with real steering wheel and moving platform, but we did not try any because there would not be enough time to walk around and see most of the stuff. Most disappointing were American automakers, they mostly showed stuff that they already sell and Chrysler even put on display their Caravan minivan, and PT Cruiser, maybe that’s why not much people went to their booth.

The show was really crowded because this was the last day. Because of all the people there, it was also really hot. I forgot to bring my film camera and I have not bought a digital camera yet so the only pictures are taken from my cell phone camera. It was really hard to take pictures of the concept cars because there was so much people crowding around the stage. After we left they were clearing out the sandwiches and selling them for 100 yen when they originally cost 400-500 yen. So I bought 3 and eat them for dinner.

(All the pictures were taken with my cell phone camera, about 1.3MP)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pictures (also there are some from Ueno Zoo mixed in here)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ernest,
Looks like you are having so much fun. Man, I'm so jealous! How long are you going to be there?

Anonymous said...

I said it before, and I'll say it again, and again, and again. I want to go to japan! Not that I haven't already went, but it's great to see that you have started your own blog, it's a great idea, and great pics.

Obviously it goes without saying, I'm envious, real envious...

I WANT TO SEE MORE!

Ernest Ngai said...

I am going to be there until end of July.